Here's a quick start guide to working with Scaffolding.
In this example, we're going to build a knowledge base system consisting a set of knowledge base articles that would look like this:
Follow these steps:
Step 1 - Set up the template
Go to Space Settings, Content Tools, Templates.You need to be a space administrator to view all the features in the Space Settings menu. Non-space admin users will only see a limited feature set.
- Click Create New Template. Name it "Knowledge Base Article Template".
- In the template editor, add a Field Group macro.
In the sidebar, click Field Group Settings. Give it a name "kb".
- Add a Paragraph field into the editor area for the summary section.
Add any other necessary fields like system, version, diagnosis, cause and solution.
- Save the template.
Step 2 - Create a page
- Create a new page.
- Add a Live Template macro.
- Specify the template name "Knowledge Base Article Template".
- Save the macro and publish the page.
Step 3 - Add content
- On the page, click Edit Content button.
- Populate the fields accordingly.
- Click Save Content.
Step 4 - Update template
- Go back to the template you created and edit it.
- Edit the Field Group macro.
- Try adding a new field, change some text format, etc.
- Click Save.
- Go back to the page and refresh the page.
You should now see the changes you make to template is now reflected on the page automatically, without you having to edit the page. This allows you to manage tens or even hundreds of pages easily by just applying changes to the template.